Activins and inhibins, members of the TGF-β superfamily, have been shown to have a wide range of biological activities including: mesoderm induction, neural cell differentiation, bone remodeling, hematopoiesis and reproductive physiology.
Specifications and Use for R&D Activin A
Source of R&D Activin
• A DNA sequence encoding the human Activin A protein sequence (Mason, A. et al., 1986, Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 135:957 - 964) was expressed in CHO cells.
Molecular Mass of R&D Recombinant Activin
• Recombinant human mature Activin A is a disulfide-linked homodimer of two 116 amino acid residue βA subunits. The mature βA monomer lacks a potential N-linked glycosylation site and has a calculated molecular mass of 13 kDa.
Purity of R&D Activin
• > 95%, as determined by SDS-PAGE and visualized by silver stain.
• < 1.0 EU per 1 μg of the cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
Activity of R&D Activin
• Measured by its ability to induce hemoglobin expression in K562 cells (Schwall, R.H. et al., 1991, Method Enzymol. 198:340).
• The ED50 for this effect is typically 0.5 - 2 ng/mL.
R&D Recombinant Activin Formulation
• Lyophilized from a 0.2 μm filtered solution in 30% acetonitrile, 0.1% TFA containing 50 μg of bovine serum albumin per 1 μg of cytokine.
Reconstitution of R&D Activin
• It is recommended that sterile PBS containing at least 0.1% human serum albumin or bovine serum albumin be added to the vial to prepare a stock solution of no less than 10 μg/mL.
Storage of R&D Activin
• Lyophilized samples are stable for up to twelve months at -20° C to -70° C.
• Upon reconstitution, this cytokine can be stored under sterile conditions at 2° - 8° C for one month or at -20° C to -70° C in a manual defrost freezer for three months without detectable loss of activity.
• Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.