Member since: 2019
Organization: University of Miami
Consistent results. Wish it was a little less labor intensive.
Application Area: Cell mediated cytotoxicity assay
"Kit works consistently overall. Having to store different parts at different temperatures is a little annoying. The need to spin the plate and take off the supernatant is also troublesome and labor intensive. Value is good overall."
Member since: 2019
Organization: Clemson University
Application Area:Analyze cytotoxicity of NK cells to target cells
"It is a good assay. There is also LDH in serum. You need to set up all the controls they suggested and be very careful in your pipetting, and to repeat several times to get a dependable results."
Member since: 2016
Organization: UC Davis
Great product that serves its purpose.
Application Area:Cytotoxicity Assays
"Easy to use with clearly written protocol. Provides results similar to radioactive assays that are more difficult to implement."
The CytoTox 96® Assay quantitatively measures lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), a stable cytosolic enzyme that is released upon cell lysis, in much the same way as [51Cr] is released in radioactive assays. Released LDH in culture supernatants is measured with a 30-minute coupled enzymatic assay that results in the conversion of a tetrazolium salt (INT) into a red formazan product.
The amount of color formed is proportional to the number of lysed cells. Visible wavelength absorbance data are collected using a standard 96-well plate reader. The assay can be used to measure membrane integrity for cell-mediated cytotoxicity assays in which a target cell is lysed by an effector cell, or to measure lysis of target cells by bacteria, viruses, proteins, chemicals, etc.
Features of the Promega CytoTox 96® Non-Radioactive Cytotoxicity Assay:
• Non-Radioactive: Requires no radioactive waste disposal or [51Cr].
• Save Time: Eliminates labeling of target cells prior to experiment.
• Use Standard Equipment: Collect absorbance (visible wavelength) data with a standard 96-well plate reader.
• Adapt to Your Needs: Used for a variety of applications including measurement of: 1) cell-mediated cytotoxicity; 2) chemical-mediated cytotoxicity; and 3) total cell number.
• Gain Sensitivity: Can reveal early, low-level damage to cell membranes that is often missed with other methodologies.
Applications of the CytoTox 96® Non-Radioactive Cytotoxicity Assay:
• Total cell number determination.