Multidrug-resistant organisms: Improving time to effective treatment
27 Jan 2020
In this SelectScience webinar, Dr. Jose Alexander, Director - Clinical Microbiologist at AdventHealth Orlando, will discuss two key considerations when tackling the pressing issue of multidrug-resistant organisms.
The first is looking at resistance mechanisms with an emphasis on beta-lactamases and how they are evolving. Key questions include: What is the impact on the effectiveness of existing and new antibiotics? And, what phenotypic tools can be utilized to predict evolving resistance?
The second half of the presentation will focus on time to effective therapy, asking, “What is the impact on patient outcomes and the true cost of therapy (length of stay (LOS), duration of therapy (DOT), antibiotic (ABX) days) when prescribing ineffective treatment?” Alexander will present an example of an infection and two drug options, e.g. Cefidericol (a new drug launching in Q1 2020) vs. an existing antibiotic, e.g. carbapenem.
Watch this webinar to:
- Understand the mechanisms of beta-lactamases and how they evolve
- Recognize the impact of evolving resistance on existing antibiotics available for life-threatening infections
- Understand which lab tests are available to predict resistance, acknowledging the importance of accurate MIC results and the impact on positive patient outcome
- Understand the influence on LOS, DOT and ABX days of new antimicrobials vs. existing
Who should attend?
- Clinical microbiologists
- Microbiology laboratory staff
- ID pharmacists
- ID physicians
Certificate of attendance
All webinar participants can request a certificate of attendance, and a learning outcomes summary document for continuing education purposes.Thermo Fisher Scientific