• QIAGEN’s QIAcube® for fully automated nucleic acid isolation and purification, as well as library preparation.
• New GeneRead™ DNAseq Target Enrichment gene panels designed for NGS applications based on the GeneGlobe® collection of more than 60,000 fully annotated molecular assays.
• QIAcube NGS – a new QIAcube-based instrument for automated sequencing template preparation.
• GeneReader™ – a new NGS benchtop sequencer that embraces many diagnostic workflow features and offers a high level of flexibility, scalability and efficiency.
• A dedicated QIAGEN software solution for user-friendly and automated result analysis.
A key element of QIAGEN’s NGS workflow is GeneReader, a transformational NGS benchtop sequencer that offers many features essential for customers in clinical research and diagnostics to create routine laboratory processes. Unlike competitors’ existing NGS platforms, which process only one flow cell at a time and often require sample pooling for cost-efficient runs, the GeneReader NGS sequencer has a turntable design that enables the continuous loading of up to 20 flow cells for independent and parallel sequencing. Individual patient samples also can be handled cost-efficiently without the need for indexing or bar-coding, which means processing can occur at any time, and in any order, without delay or concerns about potential regulatory issues.
QIAGEN has exclusively licensed sequencing-by-synthesis (SBS) chemistry for its NGS workflow, which allows for very cost-efficient runs due to a unique combination of dark and fluorophore-labeled “terminator nucleotides.” This chemistry provides state-of-the-art sequencing accuracy with difficult DNA motifs such as DNA homopolymers, which are known to be problematic for competitor sequencing chemistries.
The NGS workflow development program is on track and currently in the “verification phase” of development, with testing under way to ensure that performance and reliability match customer expectations. A version of the NGS workflow based on the modular QIAsymphony® automation platform also is under development. In addition, QIAGEN is collaborating with SAP AG on bioinformatics efforts aimed at significantly reducing the time required for the analysis of sequencing data through the use of the SAP HANA® platform.
New “universal” consumable NGS products launched
QIAGEN has launched two additional “universal” NGS consumable solutions that are compatible with current NGS instruments:
• GeneRead DNA Library Prep Kits – enabling DNA library preparation for NGS up to 50% faster, with high yields from samples as small as 50 nanogram
• GeneRead Size Selection Kit – a convenient and efficient NGS library preparation method
In late 2012, QIAGEN launched its NGS initiative with the introduction of four products that simplify sample preparation and save pre-analytical time, as well as nine cancer gene panels for targeted NGS analysis based on the GeneGlobe portfolio of more than 60,000 annotated molecular assays. Initial customer demand has been very strong for these products, which are “universal” and can be used on any NGS platform.