Recombinant Human BMP-4
R&D Systems Recombinant Human BMP-4
BMP-4 is a TGF-β superfamily ligand that is widely expressed from early embryogenesis through adulthood. It plays an important role in mesenchyme formation, epidermal determination, suppression of neural induction, the development of multiple organs, and tissue repair.
Specifications and Use of R&D BMP-4
R&D BMP-4 Source
• A DNA sequence encoding the human BMP-4 mature chain (amino acid residues 293 - 408 of human BMP-4) (Wozney, J. et al., 1988, Science 242:1528 - 1534) was expressed in a mouse myeloma cell line, NS0.
Molecular Mass of Recombinant BMP-4
• The recombinant human BMP-4 is a disulfide-linked homodimeric protein consisting of two 116 amino acid residue subunits. Based on N-terminal amino acid sequencing, the recombinant human BMP-4 starts at Ser 293. The monomer has a calculated molecular mass of approximately 13 kDa. Due to glycosylation, the monomer migrates as an approximately 22 kDa protein under reducing conditions in SDS-PAGE.
R&D BMP-4 Purity
• > 95%, as determined by SDS-PAGE and visualized by silver stain.
R&D BMP-4 Endotoxin Level
• < 1.0 EU per 1 μg of the cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
Activity of R&D BMP-4
• Measured by its ability to induce alkaline phosphatase production by mouse ATDC5 chondrogenic cells (Nakamura, K. et al., 1999, Exp. Cell Res. 250:351).
• The ED50 for this effect is typically 10 - 30 ng/mL.
Formulation of R&D BMP-4
• Lyophilized from a 0.2 μm filtered solution in PBS containing 50 μg of bovine serum albumin per 1 μg of cytokine.
Reconstitution of R&D BMP-4
• It is recommended that sterile 4 mM HCl containing at least 0.1% human serum albumin or bovine serum albumin be added to the vial to prepare a stock solution of 25 μg/mL.
R&D BMP-4 Storage
• Lyophilized samples are stable for up to twelve months at -20° C to -70° C.
• Upon reconstitution, this cytokine can be stored under sterile conditions at 2° - 8° C for one month or at -20° C to -70° C in a manual defrost freezer for three months without detectable loss of activity.
• Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
Join the Global SelectScience Community Today! It’s FREE!
Helping you make informed decisions about the latest lab products and technologies:
- Be the first to learn about new technologies
- 10,000+ trusted product reviews from your peers
- Compare 500,000 products and manufacturers
- Get exclusive buying tips from experts
- Find solutions fast: 10,000+ Application Notes, Webinars and Videos
Connect with 250,000 scientists... All in one place!