R&D Systems - Recombinant Human Bone morphogenetic protein 2 (BMP-2)
Bone morphogenetic protein 2 (BMP-2)is a member of the BMP subgroup of the TGF-β superfamily. It plays a dominant role in embryonic dorsal-ventral patterning, organogenesis, limb bud formation, and bone formation and regeneration.
Specifications and Use of R&D BMP-2
R&D BMP-2 Source
• The DNA sequence encoding human BMP-2 (Wozney, J. et al., 1988, Science 242:1528 - 1534) was expressed in CHO cells.
• Note: This is one of multiple forms available for this protein. Check R&D Systems' website, for a complete listing of the variants.
R&D BMP-2 Molecular Mass
• The mature recombinant human BMP-2, generated by the proteolytic removal of the signal peptide and propeptide, is a disulfide-linked homodimeric protein consisting of two 114 amino acid residue subunits. The molecule has a calculated molecular mass of approximately 26 kDa. Due to glycosylation, rhBMP-2 migrates as an approximately 32 kDa protein under non-reducing conditions and as a 15 - 16 kDa protein under reducing conditions in SDS-PAGE.
R&D BMP-2 Purity
• > 95%, as determined by SDS-PAGE and visualized by silver stain.
R&D BMP-2 Endotoxin Level
• < 1.0 EU per 1 μg of the cytokine as determined by the LAL method.
R&D BMP-2 Activity
• Measured by its ability to induce alkaline phosphatase production by mouse ATDC5 chondrogenic cells (Nakamura, K. et al., 1999, Exp. Cell Res. 250:351).
• The ED50 for this effect is typically 40 - 200 ng/mL.
Formulation of R&D BMP-2
• Lyophilized from a 0.2 μm filtered solution in 2.5% glycine, 0.5% sucrose, 0.01% Tween® 80, 5 mM Glutamic acid, pH 4.5 containing 50 μg of bovine serum albumin per 1 μg of cytokine.
Reconstitution of R&D BMP-2
• It is recommended that sterile 4 mM HCl containing at least 0.1% human serum albumin or bovine serum albumin be added to the vial to prepare a stock solution of no less than 100 μg/mL.
R&D BMP-2 Storage
• Lyophilized samples are stable for up to six months at -20° C to -70° C.
• Upon reconstitution, this cytokine can be stored under sterile conditions at 2° - 8° C for one month or at -20° C to -70° C in a manual defrost freezer for three months without detectable loss of activity.
• Avoid repeated freeze-thaw cycles.
Why make an enquiry with SelectScience?
- EASY It’s quick and simple to do
- FAST Your enquiry will be delivered straight to the manufacturer
- FREE You’re under no obligation
- SECURE We only pass your details on to trusted suppliers at your request
- SAVE TIME Submit your details once and make multiple enquiries