Multi-Pixel Photon Counters (MPPC)
Hamamatsu Photonics Introduces New Upgraded High Performance Multi-Pixel Photon Counter (MPPC) Detectors.
The MPPC is a new type of photon counting device made up of multiple APD (avalanche photodiode) pixels operated in Geiger mode and available in room temperature operation. The MPPC is essentially an opto-semiconductor device with excellent photon counting capability and which also possesses great advantages such as low voltage operation and insensitivity to magnetic fields.
Each pixel contains a quenching circuit so that simultaneous photon events can be counted separately and with a high degree of accuracy. The detectors feature typical gain values from 250,000 to several million, depending on the specific device. The MPPC detectors also feature high photon detection efficiency from 320nm to 900nm.
Multi-Pixel Photon Counter (MPPC) Features:
- Excellent photon-counting capability (excellent detection.
- Efﬁciency versus number of incident photons).
- Room temperature operation.
- Low bias (below 100 V) operation.
- High gain: 105. to 106.
- Insensitive to magnetic ﬁelds.
- Excellent time resolution.
- Compact size.
- Simple readout circuit operation.
- Fluorescence measurement.
- Biological ﬂ ow cytometry.
- DNA BIO-chip sequencer.
- Environmental analysis.
- High-energy physics experiments.