SelectScience Members can achieve membership status by writing product reviews. This helps other members to better understand the Reviewer's experience and expertise.
Status: No. Reviews Published: Member 0 1-4 5-14 15+ By Invitation
Reviewers are also encouraged to publish a 'public profile' so others can benefit from a further understanding of the Reviewer's applications and expertise.
Write a review today>>
Member since: 2011
Organization: CELSENSE INC
"Takes a bit of optimization but the multiplex-ability is worth it."
The substrate enters intact cells, where it is cleaved to generate a fluorescent signal proportional to the number of living cells. This live-cell protease activity marker becomes inactive upon loss of membrane integrity and leakage into the surrounding culture medium. A second, cell-impermeant, fluorogenic peptide substrate (bis-AAF-R110 Substrate) is used simultaneously to measure dead-cell protease activity that has been released from cells that have lost membrane integrity. This results in ratiometric, inversely correlated measures of cell viability and cytotoxicity. The ratio of viable cells to dead cells is independent of cell number and, therefore, can be used to normalize data. A second reagent containing luminogenic DEVD-peptide substrate for caspase-3/7 and Ultra-Glo™ Recombinant Thermostable Luciferase is added. Caspase-3/7 cleavage of the substrate releases luciferin, which is a substrate for luciferase and generates light. The light output, measured with a luminometer, correlates with caspase-3/7 activation as a key indicator of apoptosis.
Features - Benefits
• Measure Viability, Cytotoxicity and Apoptosis in the Same Sample Well: Determine mechanism of cell death for cells in the same sample well.
• Easily Implement: Assay follows a simple sequential "add-mix-measure" format.
• Normalize Data with a Built-In Control: The ratio of the number of live cells/number of dead cells is independent of cell number and normalizes data. This normalization makes results more comparable well-to-well, plate-to-plate and day-to-day.
• Flexible and Easily Automated: The volumes of each assay component can be scaled to meet throughput needs and is amenable to automation in 96- and 384-well plates.
• Improves Efficiency and Saves on Lab Budget: Reduces cell culture and labor costs by performing three assays in a single well.
• Determine mechanism of cell death.
• Profile compound libraries for cytotoxic risk.