Improvements in Field Narcotics Identification Using Raman Spectroscopy
27 March 2017
This white paper investigates the use of Thermo Scientific’s TruNarc analyzer, a handheld, field-based Raman instrument, to identify street samples of cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamine. When analyzer results were compared against laboratory results for identification of the same drug samples, the analyzer retrieves 99% of the same results as laboratory testing and the other 1% of samples were inconclusive, therefore would normally be sent off for further laboratory testing. This article demonstrates that the TruNarc analyzer is reliable, as well as being handheld and easy to use.