The Hamilton OXYFERM dissolved oxygen sensor offers an economical choice for reliable performance, low maintenance, and long lifetime in biotechnology applications. Measuring Principle
The sensor in the OXYFERM electrode is covered with a gas permeable membrane. With sufficient potential between the anode and cathode, the oxygen diffusing through the membrane is completely reduced at the cathode (Clark's principle). The current between anode and cathode is therefore proportional to the oxygen content of the sample. This design virtually eliminates calibration problems and interference from other substances.
Hamilton has also developed the OPTIFLOW™ membrane to withstand testing conditions during sterilization. This new material is a steel mesh reinforced double layer membrane designed to withstand high pressure, while still showing high diffusion rates and short response times.
- Fast Reponse - The OPTIFLOW membrane delivers short response times of 30 to 60 seconds, even under critical conditions.
- Low Maintenance/Long Lifetime - The special double membrane is less sensitive to contamination and shows excellent stability, even after numerous sterilizations. With no regeneration, the calibration current remains nearly constant after 50 sterilization cycles (see graph).
- Small Flow Sensitivity - Unlike other oxygen sensors that show a high dependency on slowly flowing samples, the flow speed has minimal effect on the OXYFERM because of its membrane material and overall construction.
- Short Polarization Time - The polarization time is the amount of time required after installation for the oxygen to be eliminated around the cathode. The polarization time of the OXYFERM is only 1/3 that of other oxygen sensors. This means shorter set up times for accurate, on-line readings.
- Sensor Autoclaving - An optional connector cap is available for the OXYFERM. Small fermentors can be autoclaved without removing the sensor, offering time-savings and convenience.
Join the Global SelectScience Community Today! It’s FREE!
Helping you make informed decisions about the latest lab products and technologies:
- Be the first to learn about new technologies
- 10,000+ trusted product reviews from your peers
- Compare 500,000 products and manufacturers
- Get exclusive buying tips from experts
- Find solutions fast: 10,000+ Application Notes, Webinars and Videos
Connect with 250,000 scientists... All in one place!