The Ion Proton™ System is the first benchtop sequencing system capable of human-scale genome, exome, or transcriptome sequencing in a few hours - with DNA-to-variants called in a single day.
The system combines semiconductor sequencing technology with natural biochemistry to directly translate chemical information into digital data. By leveraging the exponential improvements in the semiconductor industry (known as Moore’s Law), the Ion Proton™ Sequencing System provides an unprecedented level of scalability and flexibility to support a broad range of high throughput sequencing applications, ranging from human-scale genome to exome to transcriptome sequencing.
The system uses the simplest natural sequencing chemistry eliminates the need for expensive optics and complex sequencing chemistries, resulting in a highly affordable sequencing system to own and operate. Real-time, direct, electrical detection of sequencing, combined with the enormous amount of computing power in both the Ion Proton™ Sequencer and Ion Proton™ Torrent Server, enables generation of high quality sequencing results from DNA library to variants in a single day.
Ion Proton™ System Specifications
• Throughput up to 10 Gb per run
• Read length up to 200 bp
• Sequencing human-scale genomes, exomes and whole transcriptomes
• 2-4 hours run time
• Ion Proton I Chip output: Up to 2 human exomes per run
• Ion Proton II Chip output: 1 human genome (up to 20X coverage) per run
• Post-Light™ Ion Semiconductor Sequencing technique
Application notes and news
- Transcriptome Sequencing Using the Ion Proton™ System
- iGenomics to Purchase 32 Ion Proton™ Next-Generation Sequencers
- TriCore Reference Laboratories Named First Next-Generation Sequencing Center of Excellence by Life Technolo...
- Exome Sequencing Now Fast and Affordable with Life Technologies' New Ion AmpliSeq™ Exome Certified Service ...
- Life Technologies Launches Industry's First End-to-End Sequencing Solution for Human Exome Copy Number Vari...