eXcelon™: Back-Illuminated CCD and EMCCD Detector Technology
Breakthrough Back-Illuminated CCD and EMCCD Detector Technology Sets a New Standard for Sensitivity
New eXcelon sensors provide excellent photon-detection capabilities across a wide spectrum, from 200nm to 1100nm, and are particularly beneficial for applications requiring enhanced sensitivity in the Blue and near-infrared (NIR) region. In addition, eXcelon back-illuminated sensors significantly reduce etaloning, the problematic appearance of fringes due to constructive and destructive interference in the device's back-thinned silicon while imaging in the NIR region (750-1100nm).
Advantages of eXcelon technology over other technologies:
- Higher sensitivity across broader wavelength range (than standard thinned back-illuminated CCDs and standard back-illuminated deep-depletion CCDs)
- Lower etaloning (than standard thinned back-illuminated CCDs and standard back-illuminated deep-depletion CCDs)
- Lower dark current (similar to standard thinned back-illuminated CCDs and standard back-illuminated deep-depletion CCDs)
When eXcelon technology is applied to popular EMCCD devices, the result is a detector with sub-electron read noise, superb sensitivity, low dark current, little if any etaloning, and high frame rates - a combination unmatched in the world of CCD/CMOS sensors.
Available in several pixel-array formats:
- 1340 x 100 and 1340 x 400 CCD cameras for spectroscopy,
- 512 x 512 to 2048 x 2048 CCD cameras for imaging.
- 512 x 512 and 1024 x 1024 ProEM EMCCD cameras.
These new eXcelon-enabled cameras will target a wide variety of applications in both the life sciences and physical sciences. Examples include astronomy, Raman spectroscopy, live-cell imaging, confocal imaging, Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy (TIRFM), Förster Resonance Energy Transfer (FRET), Bose-Einstein Condensate (BEC) imaging, solar cell inspection, as well as super resolution techniques such as STORM and PALM.
Application notes and news
Join the Global SelectScience Community Today! It’s FREE!
Helping you make informed decisions about the latest lab products and technologies:
- Be the first to learn about new technologies
- 10,000+ trusted product reviews from your peers
- Compare 500,000 products and manufacturers
- Get exclusive buying tips from experts
- Find solutions fast: 10,000+ Application Notes, Webinars and Videos
Connect with 250,000 scientists... All in one place!