dragonfly® dragonfly enhances protein crystal screen optimisation. dragonfly is the ideal system to complement TTP Labtech’s mosquito® in the protein crystallisation workflow. Once the initial crystal ‘hits’ are identified, dragonfly produces a set of optimised conditions to grow better diffracting crystals. dragonfly combines non-contact, positive displacement pipetting with disposable tips...read more
1 scientist has reviewed this product
See all reviews
Member since 2008
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
Read more »
"The dragonfly® could be seen as an evolution of the successful technology Mosquito®. The volumes handled are simply larger (microliters). The new robot uses positive-displacement and disposable syringes for pipetting. This enables the accurate handling of viscous solutions such as glycerol at a relatively high speed. As for the Mosquito®, the robot has a small footprint and the interface is user-friendly. Finally, the robot is very robust. We have been using the first of its kind intensively for preparing crystallization screens in 48- and 96-well plates for more than a year without a glitch. In any case, TTP Labtech offers an excellent support. We are now starting to develop other applications such as high-throughput PCR in 384-well plates. "
dragonfly enhances protein crystal screen optimisation. dragonfly is the ideal system to complement TTP Labtech’s mosquito® in the protein crystallisation workflow. Once the initial crystal ‘hits’ are identified, dragonfly produces a set of optimised conditions to grow better diffracting crystals.
dragonfly combines non-contact, positive displacement pipetting with disposable tips (ensuring zero cross-contamination) to automate the screen optimisation process. Each pipette can dispense any volume (within range of 0.5 – 4 µL) of any liquid into any well of the plate, allowing complex assay gradients or optimisation screens to be prepared in under 5 minutes.
Benefits of dragonfly include:
- no liquid classification – making set-up quick and easy
- flexible automation – dispense any volume from 0.5 µL upwards, into any well, from any syringe. Independent control of each channel
- accuracy and precision – accurate and precise dispensing of all types of liquids regardless of viscosity
- negligible evaporation of the dispensed reagents due to minimal set-up time
- fast – rapid completion of plate irrespective of viscosity variation in stocks (5-8 mins)
- pour and GO – simply decant the stock volumes you need directly into the reservoirs from any bottle or tube – minimum preparation time
- stock integrity – positive displacement technology preserves stock integrity, even for volatiles
- optimal sample use – low dead volumes < 0.5 mL that are recoverable if required, combined with extremely accurate dispensing mean that precious samples go further and allowing more extensive screening
- zero cross contamination – use of disposable mosquito tips and non-contact dispensing guarantees zero cross-contamination
- ease of use – software is extremely simple to use, design and dispense
- robust – focused and uncomplicated workflow avoids physical user errors, low maintenance (no chance of blocking or clogging)
- screen designer software – interactive, powerful and simple tool to make set-up easier
These features allow the easy creation of even complex gradient plates.
Key application areas include:
- screen optimisation set-ups for protein crystallography
- biological assay development
- formulation development