Product News: Thermo Fisher Scientific Features High Resolution Accurate Mass LC-MS Workflow at AAPS 2012Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., the world leader in serving science, is featuring its latest tools for pharmaceutical and biopharma research and routine identification, quantitation and confirmation of small and large molecules at the 2012 AAPS Annual Meeting and Exposition.
“We address the entire pharmaceutical value chain, from research and drug discovery through everyday QA/QC analysis,” said Patrick Bennett, Thermo Fisher Scientific marketing director, pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical. “We’re particularly excited about the technologies we offer customers as their work increasingly shifts from traditional small molecules to more complex biotherapeutics. These technologies are derived from our industry-leading mass spectrometry-based workflows and extensive proteomic capabilities, but we are now modifying these to focus on the biopharmaceutical characterization and large molecule bioanalytical markets.”
At the show, Thermo Fisher will be showcasing many products, including:
• The Thermo Scientific Q Exactive benchtop Orbitrap LC-MS system, which was introduced at the 2011 ASMS meeting. It combines high-performance quadrupole precursor selections with high-resolution accurate mass (HR/AM) Orbitrap detection to enable identification, quantitation and confirmation of compounds in a single run. Since its introduction, the Q Exactive and has had a tremendous impact on the pharmaceutical market because it offers the same sensitivity as the most sensitive triple quadrupole mass spectrometers on the market today, but with HR/AM, full-scan, SIM and MS/MS capabilities.
• The Thermo Scientific Exactive Plus benchtop Orbitrap LC-MS system, which has the same high-resolution accurate mass (HR/AM) Orbitrap detection, but without the quadrupole. This instrument was introduced at the 2012 ASMS meeting. Mass spectrometer method development is minimized, making the Exactive Plus MS well-suited for high-throughput screening applications. With its 6000 m/z upper mass range, it is also extremely capable for routine biologics screening and QC.
• The Dionex UltiMate 3000 Rapid Separation UHPLC system is designed for very fast separations and excellent resolution using columns with small particles.
• Also featured are: the Dionex Corona Ultra RS charged aerosol UHPLC detector, the advanced Dionex ICS-5000 modular ion chromatography system, a variety of HPLC columns, Dionex Chromeleon intelligent chromatography data system and Thermo Scientific MetQuest automated metabolic screening software.
• Addressing formulation research, the Thermo Scientific Pharma 11 is a flexible twin screw extruder for hot melt extrusion and twin screw granulation. In early formulation development, scientists face the challenge that only small amounts of precious active pharmaceutical ingredient is available for experiments. This 11 mm extruder is designed for pharmaceutical applications to minimize material costs. The benchtop Pharma 11 features throughput of 20 g/h to 2.5 kg/h, and converts easily from hot melt extrusion to twin screw granulation operation. Applications include drug delivery systems, implants, tablets and granules.
• The company is also featuring the Thermo Scientific Rheonaut module, a new, compact FTIR module for the Thermo Scientific HAAK MARS rheometer platform Dynamic rheometry and FTIR spectroscopy can be employed simultaneously to monitor structure development during the reactive processing of a sample, and to detect interactions when used in parallel. This enables users to optimize products by facilitating formulation adaptations.
Visit booth 4519 during the 2012 AAPS conference in Chicago, from October 14th to 18th to find out more about these products.